Step 1: Determine the Ground Rules
- Estimated Range of Awards: $400,000-$450,000 per year.
- Estimated Average Size of Awards: $425,000 per year.
- Maximum Award: We will reject any application that proposes a budget exceeding $450,000 for a single budget period of 12 months. The Assistant Secretary for the Office of Postsecondary Education may change the maximum amount through a notice published in the Federal Register.
- Eligible line items include: supplies, travel, technical services, expenses related to students’ performing patent searches or creating marketing analyses, business plans, or prototypes.
- Ineligible expenses include overhead, faculty salaries, wages for students during the academic year, publicity expenses, and legal and other expenses of business formation or operation.
- Kansas Health Foundation
- 10% of total direct cost
- Murdock Charitable Trust, Research Grant
- No indirect project costs.
Cost Sharing Requirements
- ABC Partnerships for Innovation
- Cost sharing at a level of 10% of the requested total amount of grant funds is required for all proposals submitted in response to this announcement.
- DOE Implementation Awards Program
- Funding: cost sharing on a minimum one-to-one ratio is a requirement for the implementation grants, i.e., for every dollar provided by DOE, the recipient must provide a dollar in cost share.
Limits on Categories
NIH Centers of Biomedical Research Excellence
- An applicant must request a project period of five years and may request a budget for direct costs of up to and no more than $1.5 million per year, excluding facilities and administrative (F&A) costs on consortium arrangements. The applicant may also request additional direct costs in year one only of up to $500,000 as a one-time expenditure for Alteration and Renovation of laboratory or animal facilities.
Required Budget Item
- Budgets should include travel funds for Principal Investigators (PIs) to attend a workshop or meeting of those supported in this program every 2 or 3 years.