Step 2: Identify the Total Cost of the Project
Salaries & Wages
- Include any FHSU personnel who will be involved in the project and paid with the grant funds, including:
- Graduate and undergraduate students
- Post-docs, technicians and other researchers
Salary and Fringe
- Employee benefits and payroll taxes must be included as part of personnel costs.
- include fringe benefits.
- social security taxes
- health, life & disability insurance
- unemployment insurance
- sick leave assessment
- Show calculations for salary
- FTE – Full Time Equivalent
- Length of work
- Academic year
- 12 months
- If less than 1.0 FTE, need to prorate fringe
- .25 FTE = 25% fringe
- Applies to academic year (AY) faculty.
- Can be claimed only during the period when PI is not on regular AY appointment with the university.
- To calculate:
- 60% of 1/9 base AY salary
- Confirm agency policy.
- You may factor in an annual increase (COL).
- Sorry – you can’t get a raise just because you budgeted for it!
- Rates are subject to change.
- Always check OSSP web site
- Include a brief summary including the funding source and justification
- Itemize the cost of each trip, per person: airfare, lodging, meals, ground transportation, mileage, etc.
- FHSU/State of Kansas guidelines:
- FHSU mileage
Year 1: 3 staff to Washington DC for required project meetings
Airfare $400 x 3 = $ 1,200
Lodging $120 x 3 nights, 2 rooms = $720
Per Diem $ 39 x 5 days x 3 = $585
Total travel Year 1 federal meeting = $2,505
Equipment (capital outlay)
- Tangible nonexpendable personal property having a useful life of more than one year and an acquisition cost of $5,000 or more per unit.
- If it doesn’t fit this description, budget it under materials & supplies, or other.
- Attach quote(s) if possible.
Materials & Supplies (expendables)
- laboratory & field supplies
- desktop computers
- Office supplies
- Test protocols/commercial surveys
- Books, cd-roms, dvds
- Bids / estimates
- Dana Cunningham must be involved
- University procedures
- Federal Regulations
Director, Facilities Planning
Fort Hays State University
Brooks Building 109B
600 Park Street
Hays, KS 67601-4099
Phone: (785) 628-4424
Fax: (785) 628-4048
Include all expenses to be incurred for services during the project period, such as:
- media services
- clear statement of work
- budget (usually just hourly rate)
- sample analysis
- Keep this small
- What isn’t covered in other line items
- required fees, communication costs, printing costs
- Number of trainees
- Time in training
- Obligations of trainees
- Evaluation – training outcomes
- How pay
- Show calculations
- Whenever possible, identify in proposal; subject to sponsor approval.
- For all subawards, provide:
- clear statement of work
- budget detail
- Strongly recommended: involve OSSP early