10.5 Discussion & Activities
10.5.1. Reflecting on Conflict
- Write a description of a situation you can recall where you came into conflict with someone else. It may be something that happened years ago, or a current issue that just arose. Using the principles and strategies in this section, describe how the conflict was resolved, or could have been resolved. Discuss your ideas with your classmates.
- Of the strategies for managing conflict described in this section, which do you think are the most effective? Why? Discuss your opinions with a classmate.
- Can you think of a time when a conflict led to a new opportunity, better understanding, or other positive result? If not, think of a past conflict and imagine a positive outcome. Write a description of what happened, or what you imagine could happen. Share your results with a classmate.
- What are the types of conflicts that individuals may have at work? Which type have you experienced the most?
- What are some primary causes of conflict at work?
- Explain how miscommunication might be related to a conflict at work
10.5.2. Approaches to Conflict Management
- List three ways to decrease a conflict situation. What are some pros and cons of each of these approaches?
- Do you deal with conflict differently with friends or family than you do at work? If so, why do you think that is?
- What is your usual conflict-handling style at work? Do you see it as effective or ineffective?
- Describe a situation in which not having enough conflict can be a problem.